building groff without makeinfo (was: lots of fatal build system bugs)

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: building groff without makeinfo (was: lots of fatal build system bugs)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 06:15:51 +1100

Hi Ingo,

I wanted to get your feedback on another point.

commit aa16fc0fe503e462617b4db2da1e7638bcac77c6
Author: G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Mar 2 03:22:40 2022 +1100

    INSTALL.extra: Update discussion of dependencies.

    * stdbool.h is a C99 feature, so call out C99 as a requirement.  gnulib
      might enable us to build even on C89/C90 systems, though.
    * Record the release date for our Perl dependency, long since
      end-of-lifed even by ActiveState.
    * Update discussion of our Texinfo manual since we no longer have a hard
      build-time dependency on 'makeinfo'.
    * Tweak wording in uchardet and paper size discussions, including a
      Kemper notectomy and Kernighan ditroffectomy.

Building groff from a distribution archive (_not_ from Git), should NOT
require makeinfo(1) anymore.

Can you confirm that this is the case on OpenBSD?  One of the reasons I
made this change was to accommodate the *BSDs[1].

Regards,
Branden

[1] https://openbsdmailbox.blogspot.com/2020/11/upcoming-textprocgroff-1230.html