Re: [BUG] groff: inconsistent behavior of " to separate arguments

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [BUG] groff: inconsistent behavior of " to separate arguments
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 20:31:51 +1100

Hi Ralph,

At 2022-03-21T10:24:06+0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Branden,

> > > That description is inaccurate.  It has nothing to do with whether
> > > or not it is the first argument.
> >
> > Right.  Ralph was probably thinking of `ds`.
>
> I did not write what Ingo quotes, nor does he attribute it to me.

No indeed; due perhaps to some confusion of my own, I was referring to
the message below.

At 2022-03-20T10:06:14+0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Ingo,
>
> > but the roff(7) manual in the mandoc package says this:
> >     Leaving out the terminating double quote character at the end of
> >     the line is discouraged.
>
> I think that's idiomatic and an early thing one learns about troff's
> ‘strings’ compared to programming languages in order to read others'
> troff.
>
> CSTR 54, §7.3 Arguments, ends with ‘A trailing double quote may be
> omitted’ without recommending against doing so.

I believe I was thinking that one could extrapolate from `ds` request
syntax, and the citation you make above, a practice of _consistently_
omitting trailing quotes from both `ds` invocations and (final) macro
call arguments, and I wanted to come down on the other side of such a
proposition.

It's possible that I have fought too long with contrarians, and become
one myself...

Regards,
Branden