Re: Proposal: drop devps "oldfonts" support

From: Deri
Subject: Re: Proposal: drop devps "oldfonts" support
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:42:43 +0000

On Monday, 14 March 2022 12:04:36 GMT G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> But I've reversed course on this.  Werner Lemberg put me in touch with
> the AFM files that were originally used to generate the "old" and "new"
> groff font descriptions.  While eventually I'd like to construct a "best
> of both worlds" set of font descriptions for 314-glyph (newer) variant
> of the Adobe Type 1 fonts, that's less important than being able to
> reconstruct the artifacts that we have.
>
> It occurs to me that a useful thing to do might be to add a "psurw.tmac"
> file which remaps TR, TI, CR, HB, etc., to the URW++-supplied fonts that
> come with Ghostscript, and which our build process depends on anyway.

This was the problem I attempted to solve with the concept of foundries with
gropdf. The original Adobe Type 1 fonts (which must be already installed on a
postscript printer) or the extended glyphs available in current URW fonts. If
you are using the extended glyphs then the font needs to be embedded in the
postscript or pdf file, I believe.

Cheers

Deri