[groff] Table of content for UTP in groff format

From: Andrea D'Amore
Subject: [groff] Table of content for UTP in groff format
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 17:11:17 +0200

Hello,
I got the "UNIX Text Processing" book in groff format, link "groff and
PostScript files--Beta" at [1] and built the default "utp_book.ps"
target.
The resulting PostScript file and its conversion to PDF via ps2pdf
have no outline.

I see the Makefile is doing… something to generate the ToC and in fact
it has toc.t as dependency of utp_book.ps target, this file is not
used anymore when building utp_book.ps .

I am very new to groff, I am in the process of reading the groff
chapter of the book now, can anyone enlighten me about what's
happening with the ToC there, if it is supposed to be available and
browseable from PS/PDF viewer or if it is an "incomplete feature" of
the groff port of the book?

Regards

[1]: https://www.oreilly.com/openbook/utp/

--