Re: [groff] mom date string

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: Re: [groff] mom date string
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 12:49:42 +1000

On 09/07/19 12:30:56, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
Kirill S Sapelkin wrote on Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 07:19:17PM -0700:
> Could not find a way to automaticaly insert the date at compile time other than:
>
> .DATE
> .sy date '+%e %B %Y'  > dater
> .so dater
> .sy rm dater

Logically, inserting the date at compile time doesn't really make sense. You don't want the date of compiling there, you want the date the letter was written and originally sent. So there is really value in having the author enter the date manually.

I can endorse Ingo's remarks with a personal horror story. When FrameMaker was release for Windows I played with it, including the automatic date feature. After a document had been finalised, every time I opened it thereafter the date changed -- nasty when I printed a copy of a letter I had sent some weeks earlier only to discover it bore the current date.

I've been gunshy ever since.

Nowadays, (a) I don't use FrameMaker, (b) I don't use Windows, and (c) in groff I define the date as a string in the preamble.

Robert