Re: [groff] 04/05: {g, n}roff.1.man: Give assistance to pager users.

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [groff] 04/05: {g, n}roff.1.man: Give assistance to pager users.
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 22:53:18 +1000

At 2019-07-01T18:44:47+0200, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
> > Now, conversely, the backspacing semantic model supports arbitrary
> > character composition, which glass TTYs and their emulators never
> > do.  (Almost never?  I'd love to hear of any exceptions.)
>
> Tektronix (storage scope) terminals allowed arbitrary overprinting.
> The Tek emulation in xterm still supports this.

Aha, thanks!  I've only ever played with the Tek 4014 mode enough to the
U.S. map and other demos to print.

I was trying to get the 1976 edition of CSTR #54 to typeset the other
evening, and having partial success, and noticed that there used to be
an output driver for Tektronix displays.  "tcat" was the name of the
tool.

That's good--I feel better about my example now, even if I feel worse
about groff's lack of an output driver for the Tektronix.

> (Overprinting also used to be central to generating the full APL
> symbol set.)

Hmm, yes.  I think the success of APL has something strong to say about
the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, if only I could work out what.

Regards,
Branden