Re: Using GNUnet API for distributed database in an app

From: TheJackiMonster
Subject: Re: Using GNUnet API for distributed database in an app
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 19:55:53 +0100

On Wed, 2021-12-15 at 06:35 +0100, Prayank via Mailinglist for GNUnet
developers wrote:
> I want to use GNUnet API in one of my projects so that I don't have
> to use a centralized database which helps all users communicate, do
> transactions etc. Instead it will use GNUnet and each application
> instance will create a peer which helps in achieving everything
> without relying on centralized servers. Is this possible and makes
> sense?

I would say currently it depends on what you mean with "all users
communicate, do transactions etc.". For example I'm currently working
on the implementation of a messaging application with GUI front-end
using the GNUnet messenger service. (You could also use the cadet
service if you don't need communication in groups.)

It works quite good locally but until the new transport layer is
integrated and supports NAT traversal, you might run into issues when a
NAT is between users. It could block a connection between different
GNUnet nodes essentially or at least make it more difficult to
establish connections (using indirect connections).

So while in theory this would work, this still needs some development
to get usable in practice. I would say it depends on what you want to
do, if you can configure the network between your users and when you
expect the software to be usable.

But if it's mostly a project for research purposes, it would make sense
to use GNUnet.

Happy hacking,
Jacki