Re: gnunet-config and build informations (bug #5708)

From: Alessio Vanni
Subject: Re: gnunet-config and build informations (bug #5708)
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 15:13:08 +0200

Hello,

"Schanzenbach, Martin" <mschanzenbach@posteo.de> writes:

> But what the OP in the report also and possibly primarily thinks is missing
> is a way to get the build information
> which is output on configure at the end which is useful for users to
> understand what kind of build configuration their gnunet installation is in.
> E.g. the things listed at
> https://git.gnunet.org/gnunet.git/tree/configure.ac#n2199 and following.
>
> Similar to, for example:
> $ libgcrypt-config --algorithms
>
> I would assume something like
>
> $ gnunet-config --transports
> or
> $ gnunet-config --experimental
> or
> $ gnunet-config --http-client-backend
> etc
>
> is what is expected.

I see, it makes sense to also have those flags.

I suppose that the `--transports' flag would print the content of the
`transport_msg' variable (used by configure), maybe in the form of
"Available transports: tcp udp...".

Probably a `--database-backends' flag working similarly could also be
useful.

As for the other flags you listed, I'm not sure how to handle them.

The `experimental' featureset doesn't have a clear list anywhere, so to
find out what is considered experimental it's necessary to scan every
Makefile.am and find out what is being guarded by the experimental
definition and then hardcode the list in the appropriate place.
It's not that great in my opinion, especially as when a feature is not
experimental anymore the name has to also be removed from the hardcoded
list printed by the flag.

The `--http-client-backend' flag, and the others in the `etc.' part, I
don't really know what should print at all.  Is it something like
enabled/disabled or should they print something else entirely?

Thanks,

A.V.