Re: Encrypting to a public key?

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: Encrypting to a public key?
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 21:05:13 +0200

Hi,

we use ECDSA keys. As you correctly state, ECDSA is only used for signing.
There are some approaches to encryption using ECC, such as ECIES, but more
commonly you
use the ECDSA keys to derive a symmetric encryption key.
Basically, you use ephemeral ECDH to do that:

Let us say you encrypt for bob (public key: P_bob)

1. Generate a new ephemeral ECDH key pair (d,P) where P is the public key.
2. Calculate ECDH (d, P_bob) => x // x is your seed for a symmetric AES key
3. Encrypt your data using HKDF(x) // HKDF is a key derivation function
4. Transfer Enc(x, DATA) and P to bob
5. Bob calculates ECDH (d_Bob, P) => x
6. Bob decrypts using HKDF(x)

See the relevant functions for all of this in include/gnunet_crypto_lib.h

BR