Re: 'gnunet-namestore' does not honour expiration dates when importing U

From: Alessio Vanni
Subject: Re: 'gnunet-namestore' does not honour expiration dates when importing URIs
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 17:02:03 +0100

Christian Grothoff <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Why do you say that PKEY expiration values should have to be 'forever'?
> PKEY records have expiration times like any other record and they don't
> have to be eternal.
>
> Now, I can see that the main use case (import via URL) may have a
> difficulty of passing the '-e' option (and so we might want a sane
> default), but that doesn't imply we should ignore -e.
>
> My 2 cents
>
> Christian

A small note adding to what Christian said: currently 'gnunet-uri' and
'gnunet-qr' both check the "uri" section of the configuration; if the
URI is a GNS URI, the associated program is 'gnunet-namestore -e 1a -u',
so when importing a PKEY using a GNS URI (e.g. one generated by
'gnunet-bcd') you get a default expiration date of 365 days (leap years
might or might not be counted properly.)

Admittedly, my patch was a simple copy&paste of some code earlier in the
file.  A better approach would likely be to implicitly assing the value
"forever" when the '-e' option is missing, instead of generating an
error.  What do you think?

A.V.