Re: Contributing to GNUnet

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: Contributing to GNUnet
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 10:23:58 +0100

On 3/4/20 9:34 AM, Tanguy Le Carrour wrote:
> Dear GNUnet developers,
>
> GNS seems to work. The proxy doesn't
> work with Icecat, nor with Firefox (?!), but works with Chromium…

That is strange. Did you succeed in installing the proxy's certificate
in the certificate root store with Firefox/Icecat? Did you enable DNS
name resolution in the proxy (in my version of Firefox, you need to
scroll down in the proxy dialog to see the respective option).

> but GNS doesn't
> work well with virtual host, does it?

It does, that's what Legacy Host (LEHO) records are there for: you
specify the name that should be sent in the "Host:" header in a LEHO
record, and then (assuming you gave the correct one), GNS should work
with virtual hosting as well.

> Now I'm trying to figure out how I could help the project? I could keep the
> Guix package up to date.

Sure, that would be helpful. Ideally, we would like to have GNUnet
packages that make sure that GNS is working out-of-the-box (including
database(s), GNS proxy/CA/NSS switch, re:claim plugins, etc.). So
getting this 'right' can actually be quite a bit of work.

> I had to disable some tests to make it work, so
> I could open a bug report for that?

Of course.

> I could package groupchat for Guix. It's
> a small piece of software, but it would be the first Nim package in Guix,
> which
> is by itself a challenge. One thing for sure, I'll try to use re:claimID
> on a real project!

That's also great, and we'd appreciate reports on how it went!

Happy hacking!