Re: Debian 10 available long time , can we upgrade instructions?

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: Debian 10 available long time , can we upgrade instructions?
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 10:57:07 +0100

> On 13. Dec 2019, at 10:35, ng0 <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Ideally, however, that page will eventually just be a generic "from source"
>> page along with package install instructions.
>
> I might be able to finish this (I had the idea before this message)
> in January as a rough sketch.
>
> This is not just building from source, but building from source
> on System XYZ, and Installing (not from source) on System XYZ.
> I think the better format is comparable to what certbot on their
> website does. What we have is very repetitive and can be broken
> into better maintainable pieces when we arrange it like this.
>
> Maybe it's also more intuitive for users, I'll keep the old
> pages and do some user tests.

I kind of disagree. Installation from source is not platform-dependent. In
fact, it is just:

( List of dependencies -- same as in README )

( ./bootstrap )
./configure (--prefix=XXX) (--enable-experimental)
make
(do the group stuff)
make install
export GNUNET_PREFIX=XXX/lib
( make check )

Then link to handbook.

Yes, each Linux OS has different names for dependencies, but it is not really
our job to find them.
And even if we do, this info ist separate from the actual installation
instructions.
And yes, if debian stable does not have an up to date package for MHD it must
be compiled by hand.
But this process is not part of our package, but the MHD package and completely
on the developer at that point.
(And I am saying developer because users should _never_ have to care about
dependencies. They do "<packagemanagerbinary> install gnunet" from the
"Installation" page.)

BR
Martin