Re: conversation submodule questions

From: ng0
Subject: Re: conversation submodule questions
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 08:11:03 +0000

Hi,

Schanzenbach, Martin transcribed 1.8K bytes:
> Hi,
>
> unfortunately I would have to look into this first myself but a general
> remark:
>
> Why are we conditionally building subsystems anyway? Shouldn't we simply have
> set of subsystem which are always built and then have switches to dis/enable
> others?
> Then, if a dependency is missing, configure should simply error.

This is the case right now, if you look into src/Makefile.am. There's a set of
"base" submodules which are build unconditionally,
and then we have a couple of conditional submodules.

> As it is, you never really know what the configure result will be. It depends
> on the system
> libraries. Which is really odd.
>
> Maybe we should change that in general in order to avoid the confusion below?

Definitely, so far I skipped reading this in detail and I always thought
even from documentation as far as I can recall, that conversation requires
all 3 of the mentioned dependencies.
Which also made me think about adding support for the audio native to NetBSD.