Re: [GNUnet-developers] Moral rights: credits

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Moral rights: credits
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 20:29:32 +0200

I do not have a strong opinion either way, but I find the argument not
convincing.
I strongly believe that a part of the source/component has probably been
written and is maintained by a very limited number of people. Occasionally
somebody might "adopt" this but at that point this person quite clearly
has the agency and responsibility to do add a new @authors line.

Somebody adding an occasional patch is of course also the author of that
particular change, but the authors info is more than credit to the
copyright/code, it is also an indication who is most likely knowledgeable
about that part, e.g. if somebody wants to use it or improve/fix it or just
understand it.

Hence, from the point of view of credit/copyright I do not really care.
But as a general indicator who wrote that part (esp. in GNUnet: that component)
I find it useful.

BR