[GNUnet-developers] Moral rights: credits

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Moral rights: credits
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 19:51:12 +0200

Hi all,

Sorry for cross-posting, but 'someone' just triggered me and this
applies to multiple packages, at least in theory:

On 10/7/19 7:33 PM, someone wrote (privately):
> Trying to define authors of individual source files (as opposed to
> individual commits) seems hopelessly subjective as they get extensively
> edited over time.

This was about the community removing author attributions in individual
source files from glibc.  I have been thinking about this as well
recently, and 'someone's message succinctly describes the issue: we have
@author comments, but they don't really reflect contributors. Often we
forget to add, copy or even remove @author tags, and this is not easily
fixed either.

Naturally, this is not about removing (all) credit: we would still have
both the top-level AUTHORS file and the attribution via the Git history.

So, please do let me know if you (for whatever reason) would object to
removing the per-source file @author attributions. If nobody has a
(reasonable / sustained) objection, I'll probably remove the @author
lines in a few weeks.

Thanks!