Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-guile reboot & guix (take two)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-guile reboot & guix (take two)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 14:25:50 +0100

Hi amirouche,

amirouche <address@hidden> skribis:

> After discussing gnunet & guix at fosdem with gnunet
> people I have better picture of where things can go.
>
> The short story is:
>
> 1) There is no way to know the gnunet hash aka. gnunet uri
>   of a substitute before the build.
>
> 2) There is no way to associate gnunet hash and guix hash
>   in a secure/trusted manner over gnunet. Except maybe
>   if we use GNS to publish guix hash as subdomains of
>   substitute-server.guix.gnu?

Before jumping to conclusions, did you check the narinfo format that we
use on HTTP?  A narinfo is essentially a statement that a given store
item, resulting from a .drv build, has a specific content hash.

Lookup by content hash over GNUnet’s AFS is all we’d need.

See also the discussion in
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2017/reproducible-builds-a-status-update/>.

HTH!

Ludo’.