Re: [GNUnet-developers] Decentralized database

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Decentralized database
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 15:25:10 +0100

On 01/12/2018 10:53 PM, Amirouche Boubekki wrote:
> I'd like to create a database on top of gnunet.
>
> One might argue that gnunet-fs is already a database.
>
> Q: How can you discover links (as in a graph datastructure)
>    between files? How would you implement that in gnunet?

One idea I had was to basically run Git over GNUnet. Whenever you clone
a repository, you remember where you cloned from, and offer updates
('push') to the source.  So we'd build a parallel notification graph for
Git commits.  Basically, run Git over CADET and in hooks additionally
track where you cloned from to push back changes.

Then, applications that can automatically merge (i.e. by restricting
legal changes or having a conflict resolution strategy that always
works, see also CRDTs) can use this to build a (versioned) distributed
database.

A prototype was built by students (basically a special command that
would wrap around "git" and setup all the required hooks), but was never
completed.  If you care, I can try to find it.

[This is rather far from SecuShare though, but it would be my answer to
the database question.]