[GNUnet-developers] some questions around EXIT, VPN and PT

From: Daniel Golle
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] some questions around EXIT, VPN and PT
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 13:29:19 +0100

Hi everyone!

I got a bunch of questions about the subsystems mentioned above:

1. If TUNNEL_IPV? is set in [pt], how is the choice of gateway
implemented? Is there a way to explicitely choose a specific exit peer?

2. How to implement access control for default-route exits and
services? Other (IP-based) overlays allow using the usual netfilter
and hosts_access mechanisms, while (obviously) this is not possible
for gnunet-exit... So what if I want to offer a gateway to the ARPA
internet or a specific local service only to my friends (and maybe
or maybe not: their friends as well...)

3. I setup an EXIT service allowing to connect to IPv4 SSH service
running on my local machine. It works fine to connect to it using
gnunet-vpn -4 -s ssh -t -p ...
However, when I use
gnunet-vpn -6 -s ssh -t -p ...
it returns an IPv6 address, however, no packets ever hit the
gnunet-exit interface on the machine. Is that a bug or a feature?

Maybe more will follow, here at battlemesh we started playing with
GNUnet and folks are curious to see how it can be useful for their
daily low-bandwidth remote-access and tunneling needs.

Cheers

Daniel