Re: [GNUnet-developers] make check failed

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] make check failed
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 00:01:31 +0100

Hi!

No particular idea, but the shell script should be pretty easy to read
and diagnose, so you should be able to run the steps manually one-by-one
and find out more about what's going on.

Basically, the test starts 'gnunet-service-dns', which (if properly
configured, with group gnunetdns, SUID/SGID helpers, etc.) should use
iptables to intercept all DNS traffic, and will then allow the
"gnunet-dns-redirector" to modify it (which, with these options, sets
all replies to 127.0.0.1).  The test the tries a lookup for
'gnunet.org', expecting to get back 127.0.0.1.

Mainly, two kinds of things can go wrong:
1) groups missconfigured, accounts missing, etc.
  => interception may not work (ever)
  => sudo -u nobody fails, so we're still running
     as the 'root' user which is exempt from interception
  => gnunet-dns-redirector not allowed to access gnunet-service-dns,
     etc.
2) actual issues in the code, as it is not often tested
   (during 'make check') because the pre-conditions fail.
   I changed it in SVN to at least let us know when the test
   is skipped (rather than executed).

Hope this helps a bit!

Happy hacking!

Christian