Re: [GNUnet-developers] Bad News

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Bad News
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 00:12:05 +0200

On 10/03/2015 07:14 PM, John Michael Lafayette wrote:
> *Also, reason against implementing predictive UDP flooding/punching:*
>
> While a little evidence suggests that Skype has already implemented a
> predictable UDP port allocation work around for SOHO routers:
>
> "The Skype server knows that Bob is talking to it from port 31234, but the
> connection to Alice will run via a different port. But even here Skype is
> able to outwit the firewall. It simply runs through the ports above 31234
> in sequence, hoping at some point to stumble on the right one." (
> http://www.h-online.com/security/features/How-Skype-Co-get-round-firewalls-747314.html
> )

That's an article from 2006.  It is unlikely to still apply in exactly
this way. And yes, I was aware of this.

> I still don't think it's worth implementing because I can't find any real
> routers out in the streets that increment the port number like this
> anymore. Even small businesses that I go to have random port allocation.
> Not only that, but a number of routers now have a feature called "flooding
> protection" that blocks subsequent packets after a fixed number of failed
> connection attempts, so guessing port numbers willy nilly might cause the
> router to block subsequent packets from your ip.

Question is: can we detect this? We should implement a 'modern' version
of STUN that detects the type of router (including flood protection:
yes/no) and then act accordingly.

> *Also, reasons for/against implementing TCP hole punching:*
>
> As for the other types of NAT traversal, correct me if I'm wrong, but I
> don't think that you have TCP hole punching, but there are serious
> challenges with this approach.

We don't have TCP hole punching (yet).

> "Establishing a TCP connection in this way is, however, not quite so
> simple, because Alice does not have the sequence number sent in Bob's first
> packet. The packet containing this information was discarded"
>
> Because of this, an intermediary server (mutual friend node, etc.) has to
> be used to transport the sequence number of the other host's discarded SYN
> packet. Not only that, but sometimes, this failed connection attempt
> results in an error packet coming back to the sender and killing the
> listening connection.

Yes, most hole punches require a facilitating peer. And while there is a
risk of dishonesty in the facilitator, I think that's still preferable
over always routing all traffic via such a facilitator.

> According to a paper entitled "NATBLASTER
> <http://natblaster.sourceforge.net/paper/natblaster.pdf>", sometimes if
> short TTL packets are used (probe TTL to find NAT depth and then outgoing
> packets with that TTL), the router won't forward any error messages to the
> sender, but this isn't guaranteed and in that case the the program would
> have to request that the operating system's firewall silently drop RST
> packets using a command like...
> system("iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -d host.ip.address --dport 1194
> --tcp-flags RST RST -j DROP")
>
> After the SYN packet is sent and the sequence number is relayed (through
> port 80 or 443), each host has to construct a fake SYN-ACK reply using raw
> sockets and the other host's address/port/sequenceNumber. And of course the
> block on incoming RST reset packets has to be turned off. This is operating
> system dependent and on operating systems that do not have the ability to
> filter out RST packets, the rate of success may be reduced.

RST packets are also used by attackers (like the great firewall) to drop
ongoing TCP connections. So the ability to (selectively?) ignore RST
packets would be beneficial beyond just NAT traversal.  Maybe we can
implement a setsockopt() call to 'ignore RST' for a TCP socket?
(Crazy-ideas++).

> And then after all that effort, it still might fail when one end has both
> unpredictable port allocation and flooding protection or if both ends have
> unpredictable port allocation without flooding protection. TCP hole
> punching is only good for public networks that only allow outgoing TCP.
>
> Then of course you have relaying. Skype heavily cuts bandwidth when
> relaying is used. Like in my case it dropped video quality down to like
> 320x200 pixels. And it might be possible if the data isn't encrypted to
> make the relay data look like HTTP data in case the data has to go through
> some sort of invasive packet filtering/logging process. But besides those
> three techniques (predictive UDP flooding, TCP hole punching, and clever
> relaying with reduced bandwidth), I don't know of any other options for
> improving NAT traversal success. Given that TCP hole punching may be more
> effective that predictive UDP flooding when outgoing UDP packets are
> blocked, this might be a better technique for getting around
> non-carrier-grade SOHO routers.

Usually, modern NAT traversal always means you implement a bunch of
techniques, plus some logic to figure out which one(s) are most likely
to work.  There is no one magic bullet.  For GNUnet, we should strive to
support more and more techniques over time, and ideally to
auto-configure them as much as possible. That's the only option -- and
the key reason why transport/ and nat/ are inherently messy subsystems.

-Christian