Re: [GNUnet-developers] [Gsoc 2015] Project proposal on GNUnet-over-ICMP

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] [Gsoc 2015] Project proposal on GNUnet-over-ICMP
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 19:11:12 +0100

Hi Wen,

I still doubt this will work with NAT at all, as incoming ICMP pings
will be bounced by the NAT and never reach the host with the peer.

If only one peer is behind NAT, you will still absolutely need the
ability to substitute the payload in the PONG for something else, so as
to get any transmission going to the NATed peer, and even then the
question is if the NATed peer will allow the PONG through if the payload
fails to match the PING.  Truncation is then just yet another
issue.

Please play with command-line / pcap / etc. tools as a proof-of-concept
now.  I would feel more comfortable with this if we had the following:

1) an "ICMP client" implementation that sends an ICMP ECHO request to
   an IP address given at the command line, with "Hello" in payload
2) an "ICMP server" implementation that sends an ICMP ECHO REPLY to
   an IP address given at the command line with "World" in payload

and us confirming for _some_ NAT box (we should have plenty within the
team) that when we run the client *behind* the NAT and send a packet
to an unrestricted server (i.e. one of our university systems), and
then use the ICMP server to send a "fake" reply back to the external
IP of the NAT, the "World" packet does cross the NAT.

We could use iptables to block the kernel's ICMP ECHO RESPONSE and
wireshark to confirm the receipt of the "world" ICMP ECHO RESPONSE.
That's the simplest scenario to demonstrate ICMP "works" with NAT.

For me, this is important to know as for I the networks I use, they
either have NAT involved or UDP/TCP are likely to work fine already.
Naturally, I don't know about China with its IPv6 deployment, so
if you have data that shows that ICMP will work in situations where
TCP/UDP will not work, I'm willing to be educated ;-).

My 2 cents

Christian