Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC 2014

From: Sree Harsha Totakura
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC 2014
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 23:01:19 +0100

On 03/19/2014 10:18 AM, Deepan Sekar wrote:
> Hi

Hi!

> Im sorry for participating and contacting you so late about my interest in
> the project of "Self-updating GNUnet with GNU Guix" but I just came across
> GSoC 2014 two days ago. Anyways, I find the concept proposed really
> interesting and would like to contribute.
>
> I have gone through the documentation manuals of both GNUnet and GNU Guix
> but I've just started playing with the coding aspects. I apologize
> beforehand if I make some technical errors and ask you to assist me in
> correcting and understanding them better.
>
> Due to my late start, I realise I have a lot to cover in a few days but
> I'll list what I've understood and my ideas on how to perform the required
> task below.
>
> Essentially, the task at hand is to decentralize the existing process so
> that the updates/packages can be downloaded from peers in GNUnet rather
> than from the a centralized Guix server.

In a crux, yes, that's the idea.

> Idea on how to implement this process: (I'm not sure if this is what is
> expected, please read it and tell me if this is what is expected else I'll
> make the recommended changes)
>
> 1. The Guix service which is to be implemented will use the hash key (given
> by the user)and search in GNUnet DHT for a match.
> 2. Once the match has been found, the authenticity of the peer holding the
> binary file is confirmed.
> 3. A Mesh channel is opened with the peer and the request for the file is
> sent along with the current version installed in the user's system (if
> there is one).
> 4. At the peer which receives this request, a comparison of the version
> sent by the user's request and the version available on the peer machine is
> done.
> 5. If the version available with the peer is higher (essentially the
> update), then the update is downloaded to the user's machine.
> 6. The host then tests for the authenticity of the package downloaded by
> verifying the signature.
> 7. Once the package is authenticated and installed (by Guix), the
> client(user) publishes in GNUnet DHT that it has the package now so that
> any other peer can repeat the same process with the current machine also as
> a possible server.

We have discussed a bit on how to proceed with this project earlier.
The discussions are available here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnunet-developers/2014-03/threads.html

As noted in the discussions, please apply with a roadmap of your
implementation strategy soon as the deadline is nearing by.  You should
also join guix-devel and gnunet-developers mailing list and please
direct your further questions there.

Regards,
Sree