Re: [GNUnet-developers] [GSoC] GNUnet binary distribution system

From: Pierre-Antoine Rault
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] [GSoC] GNUnet binary distribution system
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 00:19:48 +0100

Hi,

On 10/03/2014 22:09, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Pierre-Antoine Rault <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Having worked with libtorrent and kademila, i am quite familiar
>> with dht and P2P, and I think GNUnet shouldn't be much difficult
>> to adapt to. I am thus reading info about GNUnet, but I already
>> have some features in mind (not sure if redondant with other
>> messages posted before):
>
> Please do get in touch with the GNUnet folks as well.  I’ve Cc’d
> them so you can say hi.  ;-)

Thanks ! :)

>> * As said by Andreas Enge, users should all be able to share
>> packages themselves, provided they can cryptographically sign
>> their binaries. They would deploy a node (a personnal node) using
>> a local deamon (could be by passing a command to guix-daemon
>> which would handle the task). The local daemon would contact a
>> list of known nodes (contained in a mirrorlist) and send them
>> hashes with their corresponding signature.
>
> What exactly is meant by “node” and “mirrorlist” here?

A node [1] represents either a server like hydra or a user that has
decided to share binaries, in our dev case.

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Node_(networking)#Distributed_system_nodes

A mirrorlist is a list of adresses to contact first (i.e: dht may be a
distributed system, it still needs a few adresses to initiate hash
search ; at least that's how most torrent systems handle dht). A user
should be able to manually add/remove dht nodes to be contacted first.

> The initial discussion [0] left open the question of where
> binaries themselves should be stored.  A possibility would be to
> use GNUnet’s DHT simply as a discovery mechanism, and then to
> establish a connection directly to the user’s machine, which would
> run, say, an HTTP server.

That's what I had in mind. Now, considered the post [2] by Christian
Grothoff, we might consider using either an HTTP server for
performance or GNUnet's MESH for anonymity (and security). We should
balance needs and ease of implementation.

[2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-03/msg00113.html

>> * Users should be able to trust a node. That would not mean
>> trusting all providers for all hashes recursively, but rather
>> trust those trusted by the node in cascade. Thus a distinction
>> beetween trusted pairs and trusted node pairs should be done.
>
> Please read the “Invoking guix archive” section of the manual
> (from Git), to get a feel of the current approach.  See also Mark’s
> message at
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-02/msg00297.html>

for ideas of what we’d like.

>> * I think we should focus on ease of use, since it could become a
>> good alternative to setting up a full fledged server to share
>> officially supported packages and unofficial ones (like the AUR
>> for Archlinux).
>
> That’s been discussed before (see
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2013-08/msg00127.html>),

but it’s orthogonal.

Then we have to extend the guix tools to cover user modules (overlays,
that is).

> This proposal needs discussion with both Guix and GNUnet people
> (and notably Sree Harsha, who is at the intersection of both
> projects :-)), to work towards a concrete road map of things to
> hack on.

Sure ; It's the only way to have a clear and shared view of what parts
of Guix are involved in the project. I'm working on a roadmap draft
for now.

- - rigelk