Re: [GNUnet-developers] contrib/serve_hostlist.sh :(

From: Corvus Corax
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] contrib/serve_hostlist.sh :(
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:49:38 +0200

Am Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:59:29 +0300
schrieb "Krasko Oleksandr" <address@hidden>:

> hi all
> in /serve_hostlist.sh for netcat the option of -q is utillized "-q 1"
> what does it serve for  ? is it possible to do without it ? in my
> netcat (v1.11 of NT) is not it me it is needed to collect some other
> netcat?

$ nc -h
[v1.10]
connect to somewhere:   nc [-options] hostname port[s] [ports] ...
listen for inbound:     nc -l -p port [-options] [hostname] [port]
        -q secs                 quit after EOF on stdin and delay of secs

The main difference is that without the -q option,
netcat would keep running on receiving an END OF FILE (CTRL+D)
while closing its STDIN but keeping the network connection open and printing out
data from the opposite site to STDOUT.
The only way of actually ending it would be via a signal (CTRL+C), SIGTERM or
SIGKILL), or the opposing site closing the network connection.
(or other network errors / timeouts / resets)

With -q and any number (even 0, it seems the value is ignored) netcat would
immediately close the connection on receiving EOF from STDIN, and terminate.