Re: [GNUnet-developers] A new ECRS?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] A new ECRS?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:12:17 +0200

Hi Christian,

Christian Grothoff <address@hidden> writes:

> It is documented in the linked paper.  Note that ECRS != ESED, which was the
> previous (2001) paper.  There are some significant differences, some of which
> were implemented as part of the "ESED2" change, but the big changes were done
> afterwards.  The ECRS paper was mostly finished in 2004 (the text was
> polished even more recently -- during the summer of 2005), but actually
> implementing KBlocks, flexible meta-data, 32k DBlocks, 64-bit file size and
> all of the other features took a bit longer ;-).

Yes, I perfectly understand this.

Actually, I must admit that I hadn't noticed that the paper had changed
since I had read it: the one I had on my hard disk has the same title,
the same set of authors (although one of them changed their family names
;-)).  However, the email address on the old version I have is
address@hidden', although the summary starts with "This paper
describes ECRS".  Confusing.  :-)

One of the most significant changes I can see is that the triple-hash
scheme for keyword-based indexing has been dropped in favor of the
keyword-based asymmetric cryptography.  Why is it so?  At first sight,
it seems that the triple-hash scheme had the nice property of not making
keyword queries a special case: peers could verify the consistency of a
keyword response in the same way they do it for block queries, i.e. by
ensuring that the response's hash matches the query.  With the new
scheme, keyword queries have to be treated specially by peers.

Thanks,
Ludovic.