Re: [GNUnet-developers] OS-independent GUI, poor client-server messages

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] OS-independent GUI, poor client-server messages
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:05:26 +0530

On Tuesday 24 Aug 2004 4:33 pm, hwkks wrote:
> Ok, sorry, I see I was too fast. I thought it would be like mldonkey and
> sancho(a GUI). The core does all the work and the GUI is only for
> viewing  and simple operating. I should have read the docu more
> carefully, sorry about that.
> But what I really wanted to build is a GUI like Sancho. If I understand
> it right the client has to run as long as you download a file. In a case
> where the core runs on a router without a display and the client works
> on another PC this would not be optimal. In this case it would be better
> if the core and client work on the router while I interact with the
> client from a GUI on my win32 system. So I can close the GUI and
> shutdown my system while gnunet still downloads my files on the router.
> But I guess you don't plan to implement this into the client, or?

GNUnet's main page (on ovmj.org) lists under 'Roadmap':
* add download-daemon that manages ongoing/completed/stalled downloads

This would pretty much be exactly what you're asking for (you'd run gnunetd
and the download-daemon on the router and then your GUI would talk to the
download-daemon).

Now, while this is _planned_, this feature is not very _high_ on the list of
any GNUnet hacker that I am aware of.  Now, that doesn't mean it won't
happen, but it does mean that unlike you take it on to yourself to hack it
up, it'll likely not happen this year (and possibly not even next year)...