Re: [GNUnet-developers] Miscellaneous Ideas

From: Ian Clarke
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Miscellaneous Ideas
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:08:21 +0100

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 21:42, Igor Wronsky wrote:
> So which part of this is a concrete benefit of e.g. GNUnet
> over BT?

I was talking about Freenet, I will allow Gnunet developers to speak to
its benefits over BitTorrent (over which there are several).

> The Freenet part I already acknowledged by saying
> that you can't generally rely on pushed content staying
> in the net.

How many people do you know have the ability to push content into
Freenet?  I would say that it basically includes everyone that has an
Internet connection and a computer capable of running Java.  Now,
contrast this with the number of people capable of reliably keeping a
BitTorrent tracker up and running.  I suggest that the former group is
many times larger than the latter group.

> These also I did acknowledge by simply making the statement
> that _supposing_ the user does not need anonymity
> or censorship resistance (for many, this equals no need
> to avoid centralization), then how do the things stand?

Even if you don't care for anonymity, the fact still remains that a user
must run a BitTorrent tracker for the entire duration of the content's
availability, whereas with Freenet it is "fire and forget".

The remainder of your email is sufficiently dumb that I don't think it
requires a response.  If anyone other than you disagrees, please let me
know and I will spend some time responding.

Ian.