[GNUnet-developers] multiple users per host, GNUNETD_HOME and GNUNET_HOM

From: Glenn McGrath
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] multiple users per host, GNUNETD_HOME and GNUNET_HOME
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:49:37 +1100

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:14:25 +1100
Glenn McGrath <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had a bit of trouble getting gnunet-stats working, i kept getting.
>
> # gnunet-stats -c /etc/gnunet.conf
> Jan 16 22:59:04 Configuration file must specify a directory for GNUnet
> to store per-peer data under GNUNET_HOME
> Jan 16 22:59:04 __BREAK__ at logging.c:240
>
> What is the relationship between GNUNET_HOME and GNUNETD_HOME, i see
> they are both used but only GNUNETD_HOME is defined in the default
> config file.

So, GNUNETD_HOME is set in the global config file, and GNUNET_HOME is
set in the per user config file.

As regular user i setup a  ~/.gnunet/gnunet.conf that specified
GNUNET_HOME and gnunet-stats is working now.

I have gnunetd started as root, the resulting hostkey in
$GNUNETD_HOME/.hostkey has permissions 600 which means it isnt readable
to normal users.

I now have problems with gnunet-peer-info.

$ gnunet-peer-info
Jan 17 10:17:53 Creating new hostkey (this may take a while)...
Jan 17 10:18:28 WARNING: Writing 914 bytes to file
/var/lib/GNUnet/.hostkey failed!
Jan 17 10:18:28 INFO: error closing file descriptor in storage.c:439
(Bad file descriptor)

(then a list of peers follow)

If i made a gnunet group and make .hostkey's permission 0640, then
gnunet-peer-info would work better, does this sound like a good idea ?

Or perhaps gnunet-peer-info should check permissions of the file before
trying to replace it.

The hostkey is supposed to private as it can compromise anonymity, so i
want to be carefull about this, also its probably better to setup gnunet
to run as a non-root user/group.

Glenn