[GNUnet-developers] Patch for network load measurement

From: Hendrik Pagenhardt
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Patch for network load measurement
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:28:14 +0100

Hello,

I had some ideas to enhance the network load estimation/interpolation.
The current code is much too pessimistic and this leads to sub optimal
bandwidth usage by GNUnet (at least on by system). My patch changes the
way intermediate loads are calculated by using a weighted average.
Especially for the advanced method this has lead on my system to much
higher bandwidth utilization (without shooting over the maximum values,
peaks excluded). I also got rid of the "fast rise, slow falloff" post
processing of the network load values, as the new method uses a more
accurate moving average and the formerly implemented falloff delay was
not time independent anyway...

I also cleaned a few bits up (unused variables, initialization,
overflowing of the system traffic counters) and added a new
configuration parameter which controls the averaging period. It should
be added to the [LOAD] section of gnunet.conf (gnunet.root):

--------
# How long (in seconds) is the averaging period used for calculating
# the current network load? When basic bandwidth limitation is used the
# minimum value is 1. For advanced mode it is 2 because of the overhead
# inflicted by getting the traffic values from the operating system
# The default is 5 seconds.
NETAVGINTERVAL          = 5
--------

This time a context diff is provided to help evaluating the changes by
the core developers.

Ciao,
     Hendrik