Re[2]: [GNUnet-developers] Some small patches

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re[2]: [GNUnet-developers] Some small patches
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 19:16:02 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Hendrik Pagenhardt wrote:

> I'm not sure how many more uncertainties delayed inserts would
> introduce. I tested it on my machine and it worked really well. I even
> ran gnunet-check -a after a big insertion session (not really to check
> this, but because I suspected inconsistencies from a not gnunetd related
> crash of my machine) without any errors showing up.

I'm not saying it would cause anything in normal operation. What
I'm saying is that if something goes wrong by some reason in some
system, we might not get to know that in the delayed setup and
might even go on believing that everything is proceeding fine.

> So I think the use
> of delayed inserts could be made an option for the more dangerous living
> folks among us...

We might make it selectable by a 'wizzard' .conf option
but thats about it at the moment.

> nature of the insertion process (correct me if I'm wrong). And it's not
> helping that we can't profit from the potentially parallel select and
> insert capabilities of the database, because every bucket is locked with
> a semaphore when a request is in progress.

I don't actually know how necessary that locking is. I initially
put it there to be certain of being on the safe side.

> For mysql this might be improved by collecting the inserts per bucket in
> a separate thread and when a threshold number or a timeout is reached
> from the last insert then a REPLACE statement with multiple value tuples
> can be created and sent to the mysql server.
> but I think it might be worth the hassle because one of
> the more annoying "features" of GNUnet is the slow insertion/indexing
> process. Which of course might lead to less acceptance among users and
> hindering the willingness to publish content...

For one thing, I'm not going to implement such a thing, and if
someone else does, fine, but he'll make sure its working *pretty
damn well* before the current module gets replaced by it. ;)

The fact is that with my setup I can probably index so much
stuff in a day that I wouldn't be able to download the same
amount in a month through GNUnet. If these figures ever get
more balanced - for example by some really clever routing
modifications - I might reconsider.

Igor