Re: [GNUnet-developers] coding style, indent

From: Glenn McGrath
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] coding style, indent
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 11:41:42 +1100

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:00:50 +0200 (EET)
Igor Wronsky <address@hidden> wrote:

> My opinion is that style is not among the most important
> problems gnunet is facing. Let me rephrase. Suppose we
> have a well-documented project with reasonably readable
> code. This sounds to me quite like the current status.
> Yet the end result is not too popular. There are
> systems that are immensely popular with bad or no
> documentation at all and binary distributions only. I conclude
> that the primary directions for improvement must lie elsewhere.
>
> Where?
>
> I don't know. If anyone has any views on this, I, atleast,
> would be interested to hear. :)

I only consider working on style to help the developers, not directly
help the users.

I don't know that popularity is a good measure of success, the vast
majority of p2p users only care about swapping music under windows.
They dont care too much about anonymity, decentralisation etc, they just
want content.

I think GNUnet can be more than that, it could become a general piece of
network infrastructure.

My main interest in GNUnet is to distribute Free software.

Anonymity can be useful as some countries try to limit distribution of
Free software (eg. crypto)

Decentralisation is important as it makes the software more available in
a consistent manner (not having to sift through mirror lists), it should
make it easier for contributors to pool their resources.

A namespace is pretty important to my goals as there needs to be a way
to authenticate the content, for example if the GNUnet source was
distributed via GNUnet how does a user know that its the current
release, or that it hasn't been trojaned ?

If there was a namespace and GNUnet was available via this namespace
then trust can be reflected back to the namespace owner.

Glenn