[GNUnet-developers] First Cygwin changes committed; beware

From: Krista Bennett
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] First Cygwin changes committed; beware
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 07:17:05 -0500

Hello all.

Finally I have committed the first batch of Cygwin-related additions to
the code. I'm not announcing this to the list to say that anything is
ready; most of the changes are superficial or kludges to get the
compiler to stumble through and see where other problems are.

This is really more of a forewarning that if something in current CVS
starts acting really goofy that wasn't acting funny yesterday, there was
some renaming and minimal ifdef'ing that went in last night. If anyone
starts suddenly having problems with getopt(), please report it. If anyone
starts having problems with other stuff, it may or may not be me. If
anyone starts having trouble with libextractor, bother Vids and Christian
(it's a great pastime for the whole family!) ;)

Cygwin notes, for the interested:

1. It compiles; it doesn't link. This is because I haven't done what needs
to be done to create shared libraries yet. It's coming.

2. I will post instructions on how to get the development environment set
up on Cygwin once I have the shared libraries well underway - it may take
me 2 hours, and it may take me 2 days; I'm waiting to post the
instructions partly because I don't want to be going on the wild goose
chases involved in tracking down weird dependencies until I've finished
this, and mostly because I just haven't had the time :) Please don't ask
me why configure is barfing on gtk or what this nasty message is about
shared and static libraries or why it takes half an hour to configure and
compile; I'd rather answer the question all at once on a web page and
spend my time getting things to the minimal compiling/linking stage than
try to code in between homework, real life, and Cygwin support (which I am
woefully unqualified to provide in the first place ;). I appreciate the
understanding of anyone who's wanting to help with the Windows port... I
will get things in order as soon as I can.

Ok, enough. Time for breakfast.

:)

- Krista

Krista Bennett                               address@hidden
Graduate Student
Interdepartmental Program in Linguistics
Purdue University

         If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit.
             There's no use being a damn fool about it.
                           -- W.C. Fields