gnuit-dev

Re: [gnuit-dev] gnuit-4.9.4: make install-strip fixes

From: Ian Beckwith
Subject: Re: [gnuit-dev] gnuit-4.9.4: make install-strip fixes
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 22:20:38 +0100

Hi, sorry for the delay replying,

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 03:44:29AM +0100, James Rowe wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   make install-strip fails because of improper use of INSTALL_PROGRAM,
> which causes install-sh to attempt to strip text files.  The attached
> patch fixes this.
>
>   I've changed the calls in the install hooks, even though it seems more
> correct to, for example, use `pkgdata_DATA = dpkg-help.txt'.

Thanks. I've committed code to use pkgdata_DATA for dpkg-help.txt,
and $(INSTALL_SCRIPT) for git.transition.

> I can't get my head around the need for renaming git.transition at
> install time which makes that hook at least useful, so I suspect I'm
> missing something important.

No, nothing important, when I wrote that code there were still
binaries named git about, and I thought it might help avoid confusion.

Thanks,

Ian.

--
Ian Beckwith - address@hidden - http://erislabs.net/ianb/
GPG fingerprint: AF6C C0F1 1E74 424B BCD5  4814 40EC C154 A8BA C1EA