gnue-dev

Re: gnue-designer

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: gnue-designer
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 09:16:59 +0200

Hi, Randall!

Am Donnerstag, den 30.09.2010, 11:36 -0700 schrieb Randall Whitman:
> OK, as an exercise in better understanding the use of hbox/vbox - well
> the use of managed layout - I started manually making a managed-layout
> equivalent of absolute.gfd .  Made quick attempt to add max-length to
> one entry - looks like i didnt get it right yet, dont see max-length
> in samples. (migrate1.gfd below)

Did I say "max-length"? Doh.

The attributes are:
min_width, min_height: minimum size (can't be shrinked to less than
that)
max_width, max_height: maximum size (doesn't grow bigger than that)
def_width, def_height: default size (starts up with this size)

Due to technical limitations of wx, def_width/height can't be different
from min_width/height and is thus ignored.

> Would we consider absolute.gfd a bit anomalous in having all unbound
> fields?

Yes, indeed. Actually, the anomality is that all fields are of undefined
length: even unbound fields can (and usually would) have a datatype and
length defined.

> I've been brainstorming some ideas for migration.
> Not sure that any of them will pan out, but if even one does, great.

I tend to recommend to not put too much work into migration. I have no
idea how many gfd's are out there which ever would be migrated, but I
don't think there are tons of them.

Thanks,
Reinhard