gnue-dev

[GNUe-dev] Re: GNUe (was "What's up?")

From: Jason Maas
Subject: [GNUe-dev] Re: GNUe (was "What's up?")
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:32:00 -0500 (EST)

[Discussion moved from the Debian non-profit mailing list]

Hi Derek,

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Derek Neighbors wrote:

>You should probably look at CVS commit data to see life of a project
>more than mail list traffic (IMHO).  CVS is taking several commits a
>day.

Perhaps.  I'll keep that in mind.  I like to look at mailing lists because
that helps me see if it's a one man show or if "outsiders" are involved,
etc.

>We use Kernel Traffic Kernel Cousins[0] to do something similar to a
>mailing list archive for IRC.

Thanks for the tip, I just subscribed to GNUe Traffic.

>The big problem is we are much more like an office of developers than a
>distributed development team.

Is that just because you've chosen to use IRC and developed those habits
or because you all live near each other and know each other face to face?

>We are not opposed to mailing lists and will respond to mails sent to
>them, but why force developers to communicate in a way that is not
>natural to them?

I didn't mean to imply that I want to "force" the GNUe developers to do
anything.  I was just making a suggestion based on the behavior of just
about every other community developed OSS project out there.  I was also
trying to explain why myself and others didn't detect much life in the
GNUe project.  I can think of several reasons why mailing lists might be
preferable to IRC for developer & user communication:

1) It's normal for most other projects and what an OSS developer/user will
   expect
2) It's easier to keep track of threads of discussion for subscribers and
   readers of the archives
3) People tend to think more before posting and can write longer and more
   developed thoughts in email
4) Mailing lists tend to stay on topic better than IRC (from my limited
   IRC experience)
5) You can keep up with the discussion regardless of what time zone you
   live in

>This is a longer response that I don't have full time for as I spent a
>good deal of time last night (or recently) talking to someone about
>this.  The two big reasons.  Objects are great for somethings, but are
>tremendously poor at others.

What sorts of things are they poor at?  I don't doubt you, I'd just to
have a little bit more of an idea of what you're referring to.

>I have not only done lots of object/relational mapper stuff within GNUe
>and outside of GNUe I have had to develop with more than one proprietary
>true object databases.  I am not against the concepts, but in practice
>the theory is less than perfect.  It is a matter of finding the sweet
>spot.

That's great, I want to learn from your experience.

Jason