gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] Unique IDs in GNUe Appserver

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] Unique IDs in GNUe Appserver
Date: 01 Jun 2003 18:07:32 +0200

Am Son, 2003-06-01 um 17.49 schrieb Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete
Dutra:
> On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 16:40, Reinhard Müller wrote:
>
> > I also believe we don't necesarily need a UUID. What we need is a
> > meaningless primary key for every table that is portable over different
> > database backends and gerenated automatically by appserver.
>
>       I don't see this need for surrogate keys.  Sometimes, especially if the
> modelling is good, the natural key is good enough with less overhead.

Using the natural key as primary key has several drawbacks:
* Often, you result in compound primary keys, which are not easy to
handle
* Changing the value of such a key is quite expensive (for example
changing the item number becaus of a reorganization)
* Changing the format of such a key (for example expanding the item
number from 15 to 20 characters) can be a big problem

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Mueller
GNU Enterprise project