Query regarding bsmatrix

From: Jacob M
Subject: Query regarding bsmatrix
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:25:56 +0100

Hello everyone,
I've been looking at the BSMATRIX class, which is rather ingenious, and I
wondered about the purpose of the following (in void
BSMATRIX<T>::lu_decomp(const BSMATRIX<T>& aa, bool do_partial), line 648 in
the current sources):

prop = mm;
if (bn < mm) {
    prop = mm;

The second assignment to 'prop' is redundant.  It could presumably be
removed, but I'm trying to understand the algorithm and it feels like it
might be important.  Can anyone comment on it?

Also, there seems to be some contradictory information about licensing.  At
http://gnucap.org/gnucap-man-html/gnucap-man108.html, it says "The files
ap_*, io_*, l_*, m_* are not Gnucap specific. Although they were created
for Gnucap, they are public domain and may be used by anyone for any
purpose."  However, the file headers for the relevant files state that the
code is GPL3+.

I also looked at the 0.35 tarball, which includes the full text of the
manual in the same archive as the source code.  The source file headers are
GPL2+, but otherwise the contradiction is still there.

I'd be grateful if anyone can offer any clarification.  (I might want to
use the matrix code for an LGPL library, so it'd help to know whether I can
adapt the current code or if I'd need to rewrite it.)

Thanks,
Jacob