Re: geda/lepton schematics

From: al davis
Subject: Re: geda/lepton schematics
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 19:46:12 -0400

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:14:30 +0100 (CET)
karl@aspodata.se wrote:
> That repo is a little strange, I get this:
> It seems it consists of a few non-connected branches.

That repo is for any plugins except models, trying to avoid setting up
a new repo for every new set of plugins.

In all of the gnucap repos, the master branch is considered stable.  A
master branch with a tag is a release.  All work is done in feature
branches.  When ready, you would post a merge request on gnucap-devel,
which is a call to all developers to test it, beat on it, fix it, etc.
Then when it is found to be good it is merged into develop.  It sits
there for a while, then when the develop branch appears to be stable
enough for release, it is pushed to master.  A lot of the feature
branches are experimental and are never finished, so they stay there
under their own name.

Such is the geda branch.  It was started elsewhere as a Google
Summer-of-code project (actually in the main gnucap repo, because we
didn't yet have the sub repos) and brought in, in an unfinished state.
Felix did some work on it.  With all the other stuff going on, it was
never really finished to the point where it could be merged.

There's no master or develop in gnucap-plugins.git because none of them
have reached the level needed for release, or the authors never asked.

This illustrates an important feature of the plugin system.  Without
plugins, if the code needed to be merged into a main repo the way most
other projects work, we would be faced with a hard decision of whether
to merge code that is known to not be ready which would degrade the
quality of the main program causing a major maintenance headache, or not
merge the code rendering it essentially unavailable and eventually
lost, even though it really might be useful to some.

In this repo, none of them have made it to that level, but they are all
available anyway, to anyone who can deal with the unfinished work.

The gnucap-models repo is more like it is supposed to be.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnucap/gnucap-models.git