Re: Qucs/gnucsator: Parameter sweeps

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: Qucs/gnucsator: Parameter sweeps
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 10:54:54 +0200

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 07:30:59PM -0700, Dow Drake wrote:
> Good point -- will do!  The tests are easy to read.  The output format
> seems a bit cryptic -- I need to dig into it a bit more, but it's
> clear that a test passed if its diff is empty.  I don't understand why
> some test files, such as 'bjt_pulse0.net' don't generate *.v.out and
> *.v.diff files when I run `make check`.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have added tests/README now. It should clarify things (and was
overdue). Some tests were listed in the wrong file (and not committed).
Now this can't happen anymore.

> > Qucs makes sweeps look like parameter sweeps. But as far as Gnucsator
> > goes, they are component value sweeps (as in DC sweep)
>
> I may have misused the phrase 'parameter sweeps' in this context.

Maybe I started it, see NEWS. Wishful thinking. I will reword it before
the 0.0.1 release.

> - combining a transient simulation with a current or resistor sweep
> doesn't seem to work.  The transient simulation works, but it's as if
> there no sweep was specified.  No independent variable is included for
> the sweep in the data set.

Only spice style DC sweeps (Maybe SP?) are currenty working. With the
limitations stated earlier.

I think Qucsator runs transient simulations in a kind of stateless
for-loop. This is not implemented, but should. In Gnucap you have more
control when running commands interactively, and I never attempted to do
much about it.