Re: [Gnucap-devel] [Qucs-devel] Qucs, Gnucap, and Google Summer of Code

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] [Qucs-devel] Qucs, Gnucap, and Google Summer of Code
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 08:48:50 +0000

On 24/03/17 10:06, Felix Salfelder wrote:
On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 09:01:39AM +0000, Richard Crozier wrote:
The Qucs solvers can be used as a shared library, qucsator is actually
just a thin wrapper for this library now.

Dear Richard.

yes, gnucap comes as a shared library. see main/main.cc. it essentially
links to the library. running it will load plugins, then spawn a command
interpreter and not much else.

state space inspection is techniques that try to interfere with and
observe a circuit while it is running (pause/analyse/modify/continue),
as opposed to transient analysis where you try to interpret results
*after* you ran the simulation. (once upon a time) I have implemented an
interface plugin for gnucap, to drop-in replace an in-house simulator
(proprietary, closed source, no-verilog-a) in a verification workflow.
it uses sockets to communicate and it is part of gnucap-uf [2] (my
ancient fork). unlike many other plugins i have not ported this plugin
to mainline, and i wouldn't say it is particularly elegant. yet it might
serve as a proof of concept for what you might need.

Thanks, this second one sounds a lot more like what I would be interested in. In my case, I want to do things like run a finite element simulation of an electrical machine which provides the back emf, while the circuit solver then does the power electronics simulation, but perhaps also being supplied with a control signal from matlab. In other cases I just want a loosely coupled electrical system simulation that interacts with a larger system simulation (renewable energy systems in my case).

This sockets scheme sounds similar to what another library I'm using does (MBDyn, a multibody dynamics library). Is your gnucap-uf fork buildable, and is there any discussion, documentation or even just code comments explaining how it should be used?

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.