Re: [Gnucap-devel] plugpath branch

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] plugpath branch
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 10:30:18 +0100

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 05:18:01PM -0500, al davis wrote:
> The plugpath branch contains a fix for the plugin search, which would
> miss the usual $(PREFIX)/lib, and more generally anything other
> than /lib or /usr/lib, or anything based on $(PREFIX) as a place to find
> plugins.
>
> It uses the linker (ld) option "-rpath".  For now, it adds
> $(PREFIX)/lib/gnucap and $(PREFIX)/lib to the plugin search path.
>
> I want to push to unstable .. any objections?

it doesn't fix what i think you want to fix. i am getting

$ chrpath /usr/local/bin/gnucap
/usr/local/bin/gnucap: RUNPATH=/usr/local/lib/gnucap:/usr/local/lib

perhaps as intended. note "RUNPATH" here. i thought you need
"--enable-new-dtags" to get this right...

anyway: (if i do not set an LD_LIBRARY_PATH manually) i see
$ /usr/local/bin/gnucap
[..]
load gnucap-default-plugins.so
     ^ ? gnucap-default-plugins.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

please have a look at the plugpath+ branch. it produces

$ chrpath /usr/local/bin/gnucap
/usr/local/bin/gnucap: RUNPATH=/usr/local/lib
$ chrpath /usr/local/lib/libgnucap.so
/usr/local/lib/libgnucap.so: RUNPATH=/usr/local/lib/gnucap

and works for me. i'd be surprised if that didn't work for you. note
that the approach is similar to what the autotools branch does, except
for the new-dtags and the conditional runpath for gnucap.

cheers
felix