[Gnucap-devel] "unused" branch

From: al davis
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] "unused" branch
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 22:17:32 -0400

This branch contains a "bug fix", fixing a warning about an
unused variable.

The warning shows when using a custom set of build options .. in
particular, extra warnings ON (-Wall), asserts OFF (-DNDEBUG).

I say custom because the standard build has a "release" build
with warnings minimized, asserts off, and speed maximized, and a
"debug" build with warnings maximized, asserts on, speed
compromised, fail hard.  The debug build runs about 2x slower
than the release build.

In these cases, the warning doesn't show.

In the case where the claimed warning shows, there are lots of
other similar ones that also show.  The issue is that there is a
symbol that exists, but is only used in the debug version.
Usually that means only used by an assert.

It's something I have known about forever, back to when it was
written, and didn't consider it to be a problem.

Whether to "fix" this one ...  I think the answer is to try to
"fix" them all, then decide whether to make that the standard.

And .. should the "release" build define "-Wall"?

al.