[Gnucap-devel] Hierarchical name ordering

From: al davis
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] Hierarchical name ordering
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:26:38 -0500

As you might have observed, gnucap hierarchical names have the
innermost name first, moving out.  It seems that most other
simulators do the opposite.

The way it is preserves the meaning of the first letter ..
    R3.X3.X9    ..  is a resistor, keeping Spice conventions.

Spectre and Verilog do it the other way
   X9.X3.R3   ..   the first letter doesn't say what it is.
The first letter doesn't mean anything anyway.

As I recall, Spice-2 is the same as gnucap, and was another
factor in why I did it that way.

Spice-3 prints the names another way ...
  R:3:9  ..
this is not general enough, ..

It has been suggested to change it, and I agree.

Is it worth the effort and possible confusion to have a "option"
so it can go either way?

Is it worth the effort and possible confusion to make the search
(used by probe and delete) search both ways?

The coding effort is trivial.  The "effort" I refer to here is
from a user perspective.  extra documentation, etc.

It seems to me .. the only reason to keep the existing reverse
ordering at all (even by option) is for backward compatibility.

comments?