Re: [Gnucap-devel] Feedback needed, especially non-Linux

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Feedback needed, especially non-Linux
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:29:22 -0500

On Thursday 22 February 2007 20:12, David Fang wrote:
> In my copy of TC++PL, 2nd Ed., Sec. 21.5.2: Closing of
> Streams (pp. 639-40) discusses the matter.  (Don't you love
> this book? :^D )

Ah...  I didn't see it because I looked in the wrong places.

> In the Standard, it's in sections [iostream.objects: 27.3?,
> ios.Init: 27.4.2.1.6?].  (I don't actually have a copy handy,
> just found mention of in in Google, hope chapter numbers are
> right.)  Anyhow, it's not a hack, it is "good design", I'm
> sure Bjarne himself would attest!

I am not so sure about this.  We all hack.  One hack vs.
another.  I doubt if there are any nontrivial programs without
at least a few ugly hacks.

It gives me an idea ...  Where it now prints "improper link
order", construct it.  Instead of a map, have a pointer to map,
use new and delete.  It is the map that needs initializing.

> I've witnessed at least one system where the order of
> translation unit global destruction is *not* the reverse of
> the ordering chosen in initialization.  :(

I am aware of one, from long ago.  The destruction order was
exactly the construction order.  Perfectly wrong.

> Nevertheless,
> using the ios_base::Init technique should be robust to even
> the most nonsensical TU-orderings!

I am not sure, but I see a way to test it.

Thanks.  I will try it.