Re: [Gnucap-devel] Re: Language syntax

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Re: Language syntax
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:36:14 -0400

On Friday 08 September 2006 03:15, Jonathan David wrote:
> >There is a big difference in the style of these languages.
> > I find the idea of perl being a "super awk" a bit strange.
> > awk is a "logic" language.  perl is an "imperitive"
> > language.  The programming style is completely different.
> > I think many of those who automatically recommend against
> > awk are not comfortable with the logic style programming.
> >
> >The classic logic language is prolog.  awk and make are also
> >logic languages.

On Friday 08 September 2006 03:15, Jonathan David wrote:
> Hm.. might be accurate. The style seemed SO different that I
> didn't want to bother with attempting to learn it.

That's a mistake.  It is worthwhile to study the different
languages because they are so different.  It opens you up to
new ways of doing things.

Disclaimer ...  I have taught a college level course
called "programming languages", which covered things like this,
with assignments in several languages.  Fortran-IV, prolog,
Lisp, FORTH, and a few others.  To get full credit, the
assignment had to be written in the true style of the language.
For example, assignment statements were not allowed in Lisp.

For a real challenge, try something like "Malbolge".