Re: [Gnucap-devel] Use of M as suffix for Mega

From: Svenn Are Bjerkem
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Use of M as suffix for Mega
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 00:00:37 +0200

On Friday 18 August 2006 22:23, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> Please don't -- it would break compatability with SPICE netlist
> format which is case insensitive.

Keep the spice compatibility on all files but the ones named .ckt That is the
way Cadence /force/ users to merge to spectre netlist format. Files ending
on .scs are by Spectre automatically accepted as spectre syntax. As far as I
know, spice people have always been very fond of using .cir as a suffix.

I don't see breaking compatibility as a serious problem as long as it is well
documented, and there are ways to work around it. It must be possible to move
on to next stage of evolution. Spice is outdated as a netlist format. It was
supposed to be human readable and cost-effective (punch cards)

> Anyway, I do agree that using meg for mega all the time is a PITA, but
> one gets used to it.

I have not gotten used to it. And if I had that would be no excuse to try to
do something right or better.

> No matter what you think of the SPICE file format, it is a de-facto
> standard, so we should respect it.

Everybody but the engineer who type spice netlists by hand wants to replace
the format. This kind of work is something you will find in very small
circuits only.

--
Svenn