Re: [Gnucap-devel] Use of M as suffix for Mega

From: Stuart Brorson
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Use of M as suffix for Mega
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:12:17 -0400 (EDT)

So .. here's a question ...

Gnucap has some extensions beyond Spice for behavioral modeling.
These made sense when they were done, but are now hopelessly
obsolete and non-standard.  The functionalty and more is
available in Verilog-AMS.  When Verilog works, should I remove
the extensions?  My feeling is "yes", unless they are there for
compatibility with some commercial version of Spice, which is
usually HSPICE.  The semiconductor industry thinks of HSPICE,
not Berkeley 3f5, as the standard.

Well, I think that if your extensions are a superset of SPICE (and not
a change), then leave them in.  You never know how many users are
reliant upon your extensions until you remove them.  Then you'll have
crowds of angry users e-mailing you about their missing extensions.
OTOH, it doesn't hurt anything to leave them in.

As for gnucap's Verilog-AMS ability, I was wondering how you plan on
handling the ability to read/handle the new file format?  Can you mix
Verilog-AMS and SPICE together in the same file?  Or are Verilog-AMS
and SPICE files incompatible?

Stuart