Re: [Gnucap-devel] Use of M as suffix for Mega

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Use of M as suffix for Mega
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:02:11 -0400

On Friday 18 August 2006 16:23, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> No matter what you think of the SPICE file format, it is a
> de-facto standard, so we should respect it.

The problem is .. "which Spice".  They are all a little
different.  Gnucap syntax is closest to 2g6 and HSPICE.  It is
as close to any as they are to each other, but not an exact
match for any.

Verilog-AMS has an official standards document, which defines
things like this.  After the move, whether I like it or not,
this is the way it will be.

So .. here's a question ...

Gnucap has some extensions beyond Spice for behavioral modeling.
These made sense when they were done, but are now hopelessly
obsolete and non-standard.  The functionalty and more is
available in Verilog-AMS.  When Verilog works, should I remove
the extensions?  My feeling is "yes", unless they are there for
compatibility with some commercial version of Spice, which is
usually HSPICE.  The semiconductor industry thinks of HSPICE,
not Berkeley 3f5, as the standard.