Re: [Gnucap-devel] What should be included in the dist file?

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] What should be included in the dist file?
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 18:24:37 -0400

al davis wrote:
Considering a recent comment about pdf files, I ask...

What should be included in the dist file?

Obviously all source, including the manual.

What about some things that are not source?

Documentation:

1. HTML files?

2. DVI files?

3. PDF files?

4. PS files?

My comment: People should be able to read the docs doing anything else. Requiring the tools to compile finished documentation adds another dependency.

My take is to include certainly 1-3. I can go either way on #4. We're only talking about 500 kB of extra stuff in the dist file which to me seems a small overhead considering the benefit. But you probably already knew my opinion.

Should there be another file, distributed next to the source one, with finished docs?
Should several options be offered:
1. complete (including processed docs)
2. source only
3. processed docs
4. testing files
---  this is 4 files offered for download.

One common mistake I see is to give only short names for the files, so I am not sure what I need. So, I download them all only to discover duplication.

If the docs were 10 Mb and the sources 1 Mb I might do this but with the current sizes it seems like multiple files just means more work for the users, developer, and maintainers of packages for the various packaging systems out there.

What about regression test files?  (the test subdir).

Does anyone actually use them?
Does anyone else know how to interpret the results?

Comment: With floating point, often you don't get an exact match. I have seen it different between Intel and AMD processors.

I'd like to find a way to be able to run the tests and do a sane diff. I have run them in the past and just manually tried to look at the diffs looking for gross errors (like a crash on my computer). I've been meaning to hook up the regression tests to the automake build system so that 'make check' runs it but just haven't gotten around to it.

It seems like for most cases a simple rounding to some number of significant digits before a diff should work, but maybe not when the "answer" was supposed to be zero. Maybe there needs to be a numerical diff which includes the concepts of both relative error and absolute error. You'd declare a match if the either error is less than some values you pick and a match if both are out of spec. This way 1.83e-15 and -8.32e-16 could match as could 3.12345 and 3.124.

I wonder how much work it would be to code up that sort of diff in awk. Of course then you have the issues with incompatible awk's if you're not careful.

I do think it gives people a level of confidence to be able to run the tests when building with perhaps a different compiler or on a platform which is likely not one which receives much testing.

-Dan