[Gnucap-devel] Some suggestions

From: Stuart Brorson
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] Some suggestions
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:02:30 -0500 (EST)

Hi Guys --

I had an exchange with a guy on the Gnucap-devel list recently.   He
claimed that gEDA wasn't ready for prime time, so I challenged him to
list specific complaints about gEDA.  His response was both thoughtful
and interesting.  He posted it to the web at:

http://www.triode.net.au/~telford/news/2004/12/28/

Those involved in developing gEDA -- including myself -- should give
this a read.  (Actually, I've read it once already, but want to print
it out & use it as a template for fixing things.)  I think he makes a
lot of good usability points.

Rather than finding excuses for his issues, I think his comments
represent a typical new-user experience, and we should take his
remarks seriously.  Some of his points, like the fact that gschem
starts up zoomed waaaaaay out seem spot-on to me.  Others, such as his
dislike of Scheme for gnetlist, may or may not be important points,
but it is too late to fix it now.

I will try to make some patches to address some of
his concerns; others involved in developing parts of gEDA might also
want to take a good, hard look at their stuff in the light of his
comments.  His criticism is constructive, and if we pay attention to
comments like this, then gEDA will be improved greatly.

BTW:  I don't mean this to delay the next release. . .   :-)

Stuart